Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gearing up!

Beer? Check!

I went to World Market for beer. Let me just say...that store has some really cool things! Here is their beer selection.

World Market beer aisle

I like shopping at World Market because you can buy individual bottles of beer. They even provide handy-dandy 6-pack carrying thingies to hold all your singles. Picking a beer was easier than I thought it would be. I looked around and said "ooh...that's a pretty label" and that was the beer for the week.

The hard part is fabric...

Holly and I are both starting from our stash.  I have only been quilting for a couple of years, which means my stash isn't that full.  On top of that, I have decided to do my entire Dear Jane quilt in batik, further limiting my available stash, as seen here.

Mary's tiny batik stash

As you can see, I don't have much to start with.  I will be making the first block on Friday using what I have and will try to add to my batik stash through purchases instead of leftovers from quilts every time I shop.  I am planning on shopping Saturday because I have some coupons to local shops.  Love coupons!

Now, Holly has been quilting for most of her life and has a much larger stash to select from...

Holly's huge fabric stash

As you can see, I have a ways to go to catch up to that, but I'm trying!

so...Fabric? Check, check, check!

See everyone Friday night as we try to sew Abbey's Eyes and taste-test Left Hand Brewery's Milk stout.

Mary

2 comments:

Pip said...

You don't need too much fabric for a Dear Jane block, a 10" square is usually enough, bundles of fat
1/8's are also are good buy. It depends whether you are happy to repeat fabrics or not. Enjoy your journey.

Quilt Genius said...

Thank you so much for the advice! I have been purchasing 1/8 yard cuts in all the batiks for mine. LOL It's fun to shop!