Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Review of a Half & Half (Guinness & Harp)



While we deviated a bit from our single beer review...It's March...St. Patrick's day...the more beer the better. (Also a good daily philosophy) lol! So, we made Half and Halfs! I will say I was sold on this idea when I saw the Lagerhead Black & Tan turtle by Brutul (pronounced brew-tool) The idea is that you pour the cold Harp into the beer glass and then settle the cute little turtle on top of the glass and pour the Guinness over top of it. The turtle will disperse the Guinness evenly and it will float atop the Harp. In theory. I think I need more practice and more head left on the bottom layer to prevent mixing. Still tasty tho! I found out that I like Guinness, it rich and thick and smooth. A little sweet and very substantial, I was a little scared because most people I talked to said they didn't particularly care for it. "Guinness is so thick you can chew it!" But, I guess it's an acquired taste. Like olives (yum). Or blue cheese (ew). I hate to say tho that after drinking through the Guinness, I didn't really taste the Harp. Of course, that couldn't possibly be due to my inexperience of making this drink! Lol!
Holly

Lagerhead Turtle from Brutul

All I can say about the half and half is that the Harp made the Guinness drinkable.  I am not a Guinness fan.  I have no idea what Harp tastes like not mixed with Guinness because my half and half was pretty thoroughly mixed.  It was pretty, though.  As it mixed after being poured, it looked a bit like amber with the dark swirling slowly into the light.  I would like to try one that is poured like the picture one of these days.
Mary

Please note, our Random Guy is still working on his review.  I will add it in later.  :)

1 comment:

Mary said...

Love Guinness!!! I think one of the big differences in Guinness is the way it is poured. If poured properly it is creamy and wonderful.